While traditionally made with whisky, we can't go past pairing this toffee inspired old fashioned with the subtle dark brown sugar tones of our aged dark rum.
• 40mL The Grove Aged Dark Rum
• 30mL The Grove Butterscotch Liqueur
• 4 dashes angostura bitters (available at most bottle shops)
• Garnish: Spun sugar disc
1) Add all ingredients to a mixing glass and fill with ice.
2) Gently stir for approximately 10 seconds (or to taste)
3) then strain over ice and garnish with spun sugar disc.
To make the Spun Sugar you will need the following ingredients:
• 100g sugar
• 30mL water
Place a piece of baking paper down on a flat surface and a pot on the stove; ideally not too wide, so that the base is evenly heated. Starting with a low heat, combine the sugar and water and stir until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Bring the heat up to medium and without stirring (this causes the sugar to crystallise), wait until the colour of the sugar turns amber. Remove from the stove immediately and allow sugar to cool slightly, until it forms thin strands if drizzled with a fork. Now, using the fork, drizzle the sugar over the baking paper to form spun sugar discs. You can experiment with this and use different items (coated in some kind of oil) to create shapes and patterns. The sugar hardens quite quickly but if you time it right, the sugar can be formed by hand after drizzling it over something. Place in the fridge and after 20 minutes you can easily peel the spun sugar from the baking paper.