Do you like Pina Coladas? Sorry, we had to.
Who can lay claim to the classic blend of pineapple, rum and coconut? It’s a contentious topic with three variations of the story.
One version goes that in 1952, bartender Ramon “Monchito” Marrero invented the drink at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan with the newly available Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut.
That said, another story tells the tale of bartender Ricardo Garcia inventing the cocktail also at the Caribe.
Finally, Ramon Portas Mingot says that he invented the drink in 1963, while working at the Barrachina Restaurant in Old San Juan.
However the first written reference to Pina Colada dates to a 1922 reference in Travel magazine to a Cuban drink of the same name. Whatever the real version of events, we love Pina Coladas here at The Grove. Here’s how to make it at home.
• 45 mL The Grove Spiced Rum
• 15 mL The Grove Coffee Liqueur
• 60ml The Grove Caribbean White
• 90ml Fresh pineapple juice
• 20ml Coconut cream
• 15ml The Grove Coconut Liqueur
• 15ml Fresh lime juice1 cup of ice
1. Blend all the ingredients with ice until smooth.
2. Pour into a glass, garnish with a pineapple wedge, and a maraschino cherry and serve.